The powers enjoyed by the President of India can be classified as:
1. Executive Powers
2. Legislative Powers
3. Financial Powers
4. Judicial Powers
5. Diplomatic Powers
6. Military Powers
7. Emergency Powers
It becomes difficult for students to remember the powers of President pointwise. Here I have made it easy for you to remember it pointwise. Here I am not telling you the shortcut way, short cut way works only for a short duration. I’ll tell you the keyword and present you in an organised way.
- All executive actions of the Government are formely taken in his name.
- He can make rules specifying the manner in which the orders and other instruments made and executed in his name shall be authenticated.
- He can make rules for the more convenient transaction of business of the Union government and for allocation of the said business among the ministers.
Here both powers are related to rules.
- He appoints the prime minister and the other ministers. They hold office during his pleasure.
- He appoints the attorney general of India and determines his remuneration The attorney general holds office during the pleasure of the President.
- He appoints the comptroller and auditor general of India, the chief election commissioner and other election commissioners, the chairman and members of UPSC, the governors of the states, and the chairman and members of finance commission and so on.
- He can appoint a commission to investigate the conditions of SCs, STs, and other backward classes.
- He can appoint an inter-state council to promote Centre-State and inter-state cooperation.
Here all the five powers are related to appointments.
- He can seek any information relating to the administration of affairs of the Union, and proposals for legislation from the prime minister.
- He can require the Prime Minister to submit, for consideration of the council of ministers, any matter on which a decision has been taken by a minister but which has not been considered by the council.
These both are related to taking information from the Prime Minister.